Across North Cyprus, international student enrollment has jumped from 3,500 students in 2008 to 15,000.
According to the Higher Education Council (Yodak), “…the total number of students has surged from 43,000 to 63,000 in 2014.”
Yodak expects the number of international students to continue increasing, especially with students from Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Why International Students are Choosing North Cyprus.
The Vision & Mission of Department of Education Planning & Development
The number of international students keeps increasing because of the welcoming Vision & Mission of the Department of Education Planning & Development:
“…Cyprus Turkish Education system aims at providing individuals with appropriate environments to improve themselves in all respects and raising generations who:
- Open to new ideas
- Give priority to humanistic values
- Are peaceful and conciliatory
- Have committed themselves to freedom, democracy, peace, social justice and superiority of jurisprudence
- Have assimilated scientific thought and study
- Are continuously able to improve themselves
- Are able to express their ideas freely
- Inquire, investigate, know how to access information
- Are able to establish friendly relations with individuals of Turkey and other neighboring communities
- Adopt ATATURK’s peaceful, innovative, contemporary, secular principles
- Are mentally and physically healthy, have an advanced aesthetic sense
- Are virtuous and creative
- Bear the human qualities of the 21st century.”
Accreditation of Education in Northern Cyprus
Universities of Northern Cyprus are accepted as members by educational organizations like the European Association of Universities and the International Association of Universities.
Here is a list of some particular university accreditations:
- Near East University’s Faculty of Pharmacy was accredited by The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) in 2014.
- The law faculties of the three universities of Northern Cyprus were accredited by European Law Faculties Association (ELFA).
- The English Preparatory School of European University of Lefke was accredited by Pearson Assured in 2015.
- Near East University and Eastern Mediterranean University are members of the European University Association.
- Girne American University and Cyprus International University are members of the European Council for Business Education (ECBE).
Also, diplomas and degrees are accepted by most universities around the world, thanks to their accreditation by the higher education board in Turkey, which certifies the Northern Cypriot documents.
Moreover, education in North Cyprus is in line with the American Credit System. Many of their lecturers are even from the United States.
Affordable Tuition & Accommodation in Northern Cyprus
Compared to other respected universities around Europe such as Germany, Sweden, Netherlands and the UK, tuition fees for studying in Cyprus are considerably more affordable.
Semester tuition fees range from 700.00 to 6000.00 Euros depending on the university and program of interest.
Most universities also offer mixed packages, which include meals and accommodation at a discounted rate.
Talking about the cost of living in Northern Cyprus, accommodation is highly affordable, usually costing between 80 – 130 Euros per month for a room in an off or on-campus shared apartment.
With more students flocking to North Cyprus it’s important to organize accommodation before arrival in order to avoid problem scenarios.
Most International Programs in Northern Cyprus Universities are Taught in English
The official language of North Cyprus is Turkish. Although the local Cypriots have their own dialect, English is also widely spoken with many international programs at universities taught in English.
Moreover, international students have the opportunity to enjoy qualified faculty members at international standards mostly coming from the United States.
Start your application with Blue Ocean
Checkout the admission requirements for Northern Cyprus Universities.
Chat on WhatsApp.